Monday 9 July 2012

#17 The Temptations of Easter (04/05/12)

When it is Christmas, you blame weight gain on the "Holidays". Not a good excuse, but usually passes; but what about Easter.  It is just as bad for an over eater.  For this Easter I am cooking the big family dinner as per usual.  There will be at least 13 people there.  So I will be cooking/providing the following meals:
  • Friday lunch
    • Hot Dogs
    • White Buns
    • Condiments
    • Chips
  • Friday dinner (only me and my wife)
    • Probably eating out
  • Saturday breakfast
    • Cereal or toast
  • Saturday lunch
    • All day platter of deli meats, cheeses, veggies, crackers, and chips
  • Saturday dinner
    • Turkey, with homemade stuffing
    • Ham
    • Additional stuffing vegetarian friendly
    • Mashed potatoes
    • Yams
    • Gravy
    • Carrots
    • Cauliflower
    • Cranberry sauce
    • Butter Pan Buns (Store bought)
    • Pumpkin pie w/dream whip
  • Sunday breakfast
    • Eggs
    • Bacon
    • Toast
Now that is what I would call holiday over eating, if not watched.  It would be a weekend of indulgence. Now let's review what can be done to keep from eating a week's worth of calories in two days.
  • Friday Lunch - Normally I would have three hot dogs, and some chips, in and around the 1000 calorie mark.  If I have one hot dog, and a salad instead I would be within the 400 calorie mark. Saving 600 Calories
  • Friday Dinner - Normally I probably would have gone to somewhere like East Side Mario's and had a full plate of pasta, along with Garlic Bread and salad.  That is looking at probably around 1,300 calories. So instead, I think we will hit Subway and have a sandwich for  500 (Splurge for meatball)
  • Saturday lunch - Normally I would have snacked all day and racked up at least 800 calories.  I will put together a plate for myself and tally it up then eat to know how many calories.  I will try and keep it to 500. Saving 300 calories.
  • Saturday dinner - This is going to take some rethinking.  Normally making the stuffing it is mostly butter as moisture, maybe I need to use a broth instead. I won't turn the turkey into a butterball.  In the potatoes and yams, minimalize the amount of butter used.  I don't put butter on veggies; never really have so that is a good thing. The butter pan buns, I will limit to one, maybe one and a half.  Pumpkin pie, limit my piece to one.  The biggest thing I need to do with dinner is limit the portion sizes.   Don't over eat. 
  • Sunday morning, bacon, maybe I'll grab some turkey bacon for the diet conscious. And on my toast instead of butter and jam, maybe some fat free yogurt instead.
With that being said, yes I will be having a cheat/indulgence day on Saturday, but I will be very conscious of serving sizes, and how many calories it will be.  And I must avoid the Easter chocolate for the kids.  Every ounce that has been purchased for the kids needs to leave the house with the kids (They are nieces and nephews.) 
My next challenge will be limiting the puffed wheat squares, curly cues, and brownies made by and brought over by my mother in law.  I think in order to make allowance to have a puffed wheat square I will be doing a little extra exercise. 
Wish me luck resisting the temptations. And good luck to everyone that has the same temptations this weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment