Wednesday 11 July 2012

#27 Thirty-One Days of logging & blog review.

Well, I have been logging my food for 31 days; a full, unbroken calendar month.  I have also been blogging for almost as long.  I think I need to do a review and a few updates with the month, and the posts. 
First off, overall, the past month has been a rollercoaster.  My relationships have been under stress for a multitude of reasons. But I finally feel that calm AFTER the storm is finally arriving.  My wife has made it through another milestone without smoking, and is finally realizing the value in what I’m doing, logging the food.  I’m proud of her for continuing with the no smoking. 
Now, let’s review my blogs:
Ø  Major Excuse #1 -I have no time to exercise. 
Ø  Major Excuse #2 -I lost track of time. In other words Procrastinating.  This ties into yesterday's excuse of NO time to exercise.  But I had full intentions of exercising, but ended up not because I got engrossed in non essential tasks. 
Ø  Major Excuse #3 – Lack of Motivation
Ø  Major Excuse #4 – Food Weaknesses (I still haven’t opened my box of girl guide cookies.)
Ø  Major Excuse #5 - No time to cook healthy meals
Ø  Major Excuse #6.  Giving in to peer pressure for food
As far as excuses, I have been very aware of them trying to sneak up on me.  I am trying to keep them in check. 
Deflated 03/30/12 – That post was about an argument with my wife.  In the end we did discuss it further and I told her more on how she made me feel.  We are left to our own beliefs, which is fine, and she is more resolved to my beliefs.  On a note though, I did manage that day to stay within my calorie allowance, even before exercising.  I didn’t turn to food for comfort. 
The Temptations of Easter 04/05/12 – For Easter weekend I did fairly well.  I staved off the chocolate mostly.  I was under my calories on Friday and Saturday.  Sunday I did go over, by 361.  So planning that weekend did help. 
I would also like to note, the puffed wheat squares I was being tempted by; we worked it out, they are only 100 calories, so they helped keep me from munching on straight chocolate.  They make an excellent chewy, sticky, chocolaty, gooey goodness snack.  Yes they have sugar, but don’t have added preservatives.  They are probably comparable to some of the marketed “Temptation” snacks that are only 100 calories nutritional content. The trick is, only have one, just like the packaged food, it is only a treat if you only have one.  If you eat the whole box, it is then not good. 
The brownies brought by my mother in law, they were typical calories of 231 each, but I know exactly what was in them, opposed to store bought.  But not as good as the puffed wheat squares.  For each recipe we entered the whole recipe and found that each recipe made about 16 squares 2”x3” ish. 
It’s not you it’s me  04/09/12 – After long discussions, she has assured me that is true.  On the same token, I’m trying to look better all around to help with that.  We are working on it. 
My Challenge to myself 04/10/12 – I did make the challenge.  It was very hard yesterday though. Because of a stressful couple emails with my wife I was very tempted to offer to bring pizza home for dinner.  On top of that, it was a big cry day yesterday and I almost did turn to food for comfort afterwards.  I have a thought on crying and calories though; crying is exhausting.  I wonder how many calories you burn.  With that being said, are you supposed to eat to refuel after a good cry.  The biggest challenge is, don’t turn to junk food, have a healthy snack instead.  We ended up having a dessert custard tofu.  The package was 90 calories.  Not the best desert, but it did fit the bill for refueling, especially with the added protein I think. 
Weekend Challenge 04/13/12 – I didn’t quite make the specific exercise challenge, but I did get a lot of walking in and some Wii Fit.  I did make it to being under for calories though.  The meal plan did help, but it shuffled a lot, and on Sunday made something completely different.  It ended up being very good, but still 700 calorie dinner.  But I had the allotment.  It was a healthy dinner though, Thai Coconut Chicken on buckwheat noodles.  The things that jacked up the calories was the buckwheat noodles, and coconut cream.  Next time I will mix a bit more regular milk with the cream to tone down the fat content.  Overall though, our day had a good balance between fat, protein, and carbs, so that ended up to be a bonus. 
Writers block 04/16/12 – On the end note, I had made things worse via what I had said, but we did end up fixing things by the end of the night.  It was a big cry day for the both of us.  I brought in help from my mother in law, and we were talking again.  Today feels a better day for the both of us. 
Today however I am wanting too much of everything.  So far I have had melon, some fun cereal as a treat, but that lead to also having honey pretzels with lunch.  Now that lunch is over, I still want to munch.  I don’t want fruit, I want carbs.  I wonder if this is recovery from crying or the fact I had buckwheat noodles with dinner again last night; residual withdrawal from carbs.  Or just old habits die hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment