Thursday 12 July 2012

#30 Losing Weight to Get Pregnant (04/19/12)

Yesterday we got a call from the fertility clinic.  It was to let us know of the timeline before we get our first appointment.  We are looking at about 3-4 months before the consult appointment, and then depending on my cycle add one more month.  So now I have a goal date for my first ½ of weight loss.
 Obviously while pregnant I won’t be losing, but hopefully not gaining too much either; especially now that I’m conscious of calorie intake.  I know you need more calories when pregnant, but surprisingly, you don’t need as many as you think.  Somewhere I read that the additional needed intake is 400-500 calories per day. I will certainly double check that fact though when it comes time.  Being pregnant isn’t really an excuse to derail all work put in to get skinnier.  My hopes are to have lost the 50 pounds before getting pregnant, while pregnant only gain baby weight and maybe 10 pounds.  For someone my size, I’ve been told that is plenty of gain.  So then I will return to my weight loss journey, to reach 200 pounds, after baby is born.  I think I will continue to log however, during, to make sure I’m getting the nutrients and calories needed for baby. 
Now, back to the journey at hand; I have 20 weeks to lose, hopefully, 50 pounds.  I know that is a little over the 1-2 pounds per week, but might be achievable.  In general life, I work a little better with a deadline, so let’s hope this helps.  If I can manage to lose 40 pounds which is the 2 pounds per week, that would be good.  At this point let’s strive for the best and see where I end up.   
My goal weight to be before trying to get pregnant is at least 260 pounds.  It would be better to be a lot smaller, but that is better than being over 300 pounds, which is where I currently am; four pounds down, 46 to go.  Realistically any loss is a good loss so let’s see how far I get. 

No comments:

Post a Comment