Friday 20 July 2012

#42 Double check your facts (05/04/12)

There are a lot of resources on MFP.  Some of which may not be necessarily of reputable sources.  Most information starts with a grain of truth though, but then through the “telephone game” of he said, then she said, then so and so said facts can get a little twisted. 

Yesterday my mother in law commented on where we got the fact of carb, protein, fat percentages that should make up a daily allowance.  For the most part because that is part of the software I assumed it was correct.  However I couldn’t back up the source other than the software says so.  Note though, I have seen this before, but I couldn’t remember where I had seen it with conviction to say so.  Today I looked at a few other websites and confirmed the default percentages on MFP are average.  My main reference is from the Mayo clinic.  Of course there is always a variable percent, but what our goals are, are part of a balanced diet.

Another thing that I have found on here that I had to confirm was my BMR and knowing what that means. From some slight additional research the BMR is what this body needs to keep organs, etc, functioning, if I were to stay in bed all day. There is debate on how to calculate that though, because of two used formulas.  I have decided to follow using the Katch-McArdle formula, but that is my choice on this diet adventure. 

Sometimes, just because so and so said this is true, you might want to look it up to double check.  Think about what you read and if it is something you want to follow then double check the information.  This is your health you are playing with.  Make sure what you are doing to/with your body is healthy.  When in serious doubt, consult your doctor, or maybe a dietitian.  I think my knowledge of why I am doing what I am doing will help me stay on track.  Hopefully it will help you too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment