Thursday 2 August 2012

#69 Motorcycles (06/07/12)

This is non food related.  There seems to be a fairly touchy subject in my life; my wife selling her motorcycle.  The first time she brought it up, instant full out bawling from me.  We talked it over a bit and yes, we don’t have time to ride as much as I would like, and she isn’t comfortable on the bike anymore.  She used to ride, years ago before we met, but hasn’t ridden in a lot of year.  We haven’t touched much on the subject of selling since, other than an occasional offhand comment from her.  Each time she mentioned it, it’s like my heart is being pulled out.  I don’t know why. 

Logically it makes sense to sell the bike.  It isn’t getting used, and this summer doesn’t look too promising.  Plus if my wife isn’t comfortable on the bike then she isn’t enjoying riding, which is the entire point of having one.  So getting some money out of the bike before it gets any older makes sense, logically.  My heart has a different opinion.

Today, once again she hinted at the subject.  It instantly took me from being in a pretty good mood, to almost crying at work.  Other than ideals about going for weekend road trips together and having a romantic weekend, I don’t know why I’m so attached to her having a bike.  Realistically we can’t do weekend rides, we have dogs that need attending to.  This next year we are looking to get pregnant, which isn’t conducive to riding a motorcycle. 

I love to ride, but I’m not even getting out as much as I should to warrant having a bike.  From where I live it is a ways away to get to good riding roads.  Most roads around here are straight and flat.  BORING.  However just being on the bike is relaxing, so I should try and get out more. 

The question today is, why is letting go of my wife having a bike, (note, we don’t have any major memories of us riding together) so hard?

No comments:

Post a Comment