Monday 29 April 2013

4 Weeks 5 Days (04/29/13)


Apparently this is where the shock is wearing off and I am hitting panic mode.  The Virgo in me is coming out and I need to accept right now there is nothing I can be doing other than what I am (eating right, resting and taking vitamins). 

This morning I made a call to a maternity clinic that deals with low risk pregnancies.  I got denied as a patient strictly because my weight puts me as a high risk pregnancy.  That put me in a hormonal spin from angry, as I do try to exercise, I don’t eat fried foods every day, I even eat fairly healthy, to stressed that I need to get a doctor right away in case something is going wrong and I need to do something extra because I’m overweight to protect my pregnancy. 

In my head I’m getting defensive over what we do/don’t eat for when I meet the OBGYN.  I feel I’m just trying to be prepared to cover all directions of conversations with the OBGYN to be protected so I won’t be caught off guard and start crying when the doctor mentions my weight and that I should have lost weight before getting pregnant.  I’m getting nervous about the first appointment and I don’t even know who the doctor is going to be. 

One of the clinics the maternity clinic recommended in the remote area, I am not sure if I even want to go there.  They specialize in vaginal rejuvenation.  OBGYN/Plastic surgeon weren’t two things that I thought would be in the same sentence.  That would make me extra nervous about doctor’s appointments and whether my doctor is judging my netheryaya; “should I suggest surgery”. 

Do you ever sometimes wonder if morning sickness is just caused by stress of being pregnant and all the worries that go with it?

I just need to remember to remain calm; all this stressing is definitely not good for the baby.  

7 comments:

  1. I think everyone (who knows they're pregnant) worries early on, if not through the whole pregnancy. You obviously want the best for this little one. Hopefully any doctor you see will be encouraging about your diet/weight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you thought of applying to one of the midwife clinics in Calgary? I'm seeing them for my pregnancy and the care they provide is great. They actually don't even weigh their patients throughout pregnancy because their philosophy is that if baby is growing well, it doesn't matter what the mom weighs. You apply to the clinics through online applications on their websites and they call you if they have an opening for your due date. Calgary has 3 or 4 midwife clinics. Might be worth a try?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's true your wight should not be stressing you out, as long as you truly do all you can to be healthy during your pregnancy your baby will be just as healthy and happy! Enjoy your pregnancy! I know that is a lot easer said then done! :) So happy for you two!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous: Thanks for the tip. My wife and I had discussed using a midwife. I had just called one of the clinics and because I'm high risk (bcs of my weight) they can't take me as a client. The government regulations prohibit them from taking a high risk pregnancy. The weight might have been able to get around, but that in combination with Crohns and Asthma I need to have an OBGYN.

    Thanks everyone for the words of support. I'm doing much better today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Depending on where you are in the city and where you plan on delivering, there are a few great OBGYNs here. I've worked with both Dr. Igras and Dr. cusano who are based on the NE and deliver at Peter Lougheed. They are both great doctors and have followed a few friends of mine through their (high risk) pregnancies. I've seen them both in deliveries (I'm a nurse) and would have requested one of them for my own pregnancy if I hadn't been accepted to a midwife clinic. Congratulations on your pregnancy, BTW :) hope you are feeling well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the recommendations. We live in the SE, so we were hoping for one closer, but I think the NE might be closer than the one in the far SW. The closest looks like at McLeod and Anderson, but I don't know if I will like that one or now.

    We are seeing our family doctor tomorrow and see who he recommends. If his recommendation isn't close, I'll mention those names.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm SOOO late to replying to this, but hopefully it will still be helpful.

    Read these blogs:

    1) http://wellroundedmama.blogspot.com/

    2) http://plussizebirth.com/blog/psmmblog

    ReplyDelete