Tuesday 27 August 2013

Appointments Galore (08/27/13)

To start off, I am behind in posting photos.  So here is the catch up on weekly baby bump photos.


Week 19



Week 20



And finally Week 21, definitely getting bigger, but the baby bump is not quite defined.

My first appointment with the substitute OB (Dr C is on Vacation), was full of scary information.  My weight had jumped about 2 Kg from the last time I weighed in with my family doc, Dr B, however it was late afternoon and I had to Pee, but didn’t want to pee yet, thinking they would do the pee test too, looking for protein.  (They didn’t). 

The doctor was going to have a home visit from a nurse once a week for blood pressure test and what not.  The next day the nurse had called, but apparently they only do that when the patient no longer works and is on home rest.  So I don’t know if that will change anything.  The doc also referred me to a maternal medical clinic (not sure of the official name) to take care of all the “side effects” of pregnancy while the OB takes care of the baby. 

At this point the OB did switch my BP medication.  After just two days on it, it hadn’t made a difference in my BP, but my nipples are doing much, much, much better.  So hopefully my BP will come down after a little while longer.  She also put me on an acid reflux medication; even though I don’t really have heart burn much, she said acid reflux can sometimes mimic asthma symptoms.  As I had mentioned my asthma is getting worse.  I’m doubtful but it’s worth a try.  So far, I can’t really tell, as I have caught Deb’s summer cold; not fun. 

In my early teens I was in a car accident that required surgery to correct an aneurysm in my head.  That is a concern, as a possible weak spot for high blood pressure to cause issues.  The doctor seemed very concerned, but I’m trying not to stress about it.  At the time they did a fair amount of follow up testing and everything looked good, so hopefully they did the proper correction instead of a patch at the time. 

My belly measured at 23” which is due to the original added “padding” I’m sure.  Because of that, she has ordered an ultrasound once a month to monitor the baby growth.  My weekly count has moved again.  We are back to Wednesday as being the week change, so tomorrow I will be 22 weeks, instead of Friday. 

For now I will be seeing my family doctor once a week (Mondays), and I think seeing the OB once a week on Fridays, ultrasounds once a month, and blood work when ever doctors see fit (first set today at 3:00).  Then I will be seeing the other clinic, but I don’t know when that starts or how often I will be seeing them. 

Last night we finally got to see the Bean kick, kind of.  We were watching my stomach and there was a definite twitch when he kicked.  It was exciting for us to see, especially Deb, as I have been feeling some movement for a while now.  We spent a fair amount of time staring at my stomach before finally calling it a night.  The first kick was the best one though.

The weekend before last we went down the river.  It was a very sunny day so I (almost forgot) brought an umbrella to keep from cooking the bean.  This is a picture of going down the river.



Our weekends will be busy for the remainder of September.  This past weekend I got to visit with my Aunt and Uncle from Edmonton, and my Aunt and Uncle from England.  It was a really good visit.  Saturday we headed to Fernie for a wedding.  It was great to see some old friends and the wedding was beautiful, as was the reception.  The wedding was shorter than we had originally thought (Catholic Wedding), so that was nice.  We were expecting at least two hours, but it was about an hour, perfect amount of time. 

While in Fernie I got to visit my sister for a little while between the wedding and reception which was nice.  Our hotel while in Fernie was a gong show and I don’t recommend staying there.  It is called the Fernie Slopeside Lodge.  The rooms were dirty.  I can deal with dated hotel rooms, but these were dirty.  My sister got upgraded from the first room (through the sister lodge as it was a late check in) but the second room, though much larger, was still dirty.  Used coffee/filter in the coffee pot, the fridge was sticky, coffee rings on the counters, bugs in the window sill.  The next day the receptionist said the sister lodge should not have upgraded our room.  She did say it would be cleaned by the time I got there (My sister took the first night), alas it was not cleaned when we got there.  I have complained to Groupon which is where I booked the hotel originally, and they gave me some credit towards future purchases, which was helpful.  I am also lodging a complaint with the BBB.  When you pay for a hotel room, you should be able to assume it will be clean.


Next weekend is the long weekend and we took an extra day off to head to our destination of middle BC camping with friends from the coast.  This will be the first long drive we will be taking the RV on and fingers crossed it makes it there and back no issues.  

4 comments:

  1. I can't believe you're already more than half way along! Very exciting!! Are you going to find out the sex?

    Also GROSS about the hotel. I hope that they do something to compensate you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did the reflux meds help with the asthma? I find they do for me, especially at night when I'm laying in bed. It's odd because I don't suffer from heartburn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadly the Reflux didn't help with the asthma, but one day I missed it and afternoon sickness came back, so I think it is helping with that, if nothing else.

    ReplyDelete