Tuesday 24 September 2013

An Article Worth Sharing (09/24/13)

On Buzzfeed I was reading about Miley Cyrus's rolling stones interview.  On one of the pictures it showed the cover of the Rolling Stones mag featuring her interview.  A side story on the cover was "War on Gay Teens".  This caught my eye enough that I had to Google it, even before finishing reading about Miley. 
  
This is a link to the article

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/one-towns-war-on-gay-teens-20120202


As far as my limited life as a realized lesbian, I have been mostly sheltered when it comes to bullying and harassment.  I consider myself blessed, especially after reading this article.  It is something that Deb and I worry for about our little bean, when he starts attending school.  We are hoping to be prepared to help him battle any bullying he may come across, having two moms, but we do pray he doesn’t come against angst this overwhelming.  Calgary isn’t the most progressive city when it comes to LGBT community, but I believe in my slightly naive heart things aren’t that bad. 
 
Being gay is not a sin, nor a choice.  For those of us to enjoyed male company in their lifetime, it doesn't change the fact that we are attracted to women as well, if not more so.  I will say there are many times when hearing about husbands/boyfriends being typical men, I am glad I have ended up where I am today, not that I'm a man hater, just less tolerant I guess.  People don't choose who they fall in love with; it is a matter of the heart.  

The area that this article mentions is swayed by heavy religion stuck in the middle ages.  Even the Pope is changing the church views on gays, even if ever so slightly.

Quotes from the above link

Francis said in the interview that the catechism, or the Roman Catholic Church's official doctrine book, condemns homosexual acts, but he called on the Church to love gays and lesbians, who "must be accepted with respect, compassion and sensitivity."  
In a much quoted sentence from the interview, Francis said, "Religion has the right to express its opinion in the service of the people, but God in creation has set us free:  it is not possible to interfere spiritually in the life of a person."  

 "If a person is gay and seeks God and has good will, who am I to judge him?" said Francis to reporters on board a plane returning from Brazil.  "The Catechism of the Catholic Church explains this very well. It says they should not be marginalized because of this (orientation) but that they must be integrated into society."


Hopefully this is a good change to come from the religious segregation/bigotry, and hopefully the area from the Rolling Stones article will follow suit, along with other cities worldwide.


1 comment:

  1. All of this hatred and bullying really breaks my heart. It makes me sick to my stomach and even more determined to raise my daughter with good morals, standards, values and respect for everyone. I hope one day it will stop, but it won't. I will get better but there will always be small minded people who will make life hard for others. I just hope that by the time Brielle goes to school, she won't have it too hard with having lesbian moms and a gay dad. We'll tackle whatever it is when it happens...if it happens. Thus far, Rhonda & I have been so blessed with our family and friends. I hope it continues that way.

    ReplyDelete