Thursday 31 October 2013

Quick update (10/31/13)

Happy Halloween.  My belly still doesn’t quite look like a standard pregnant belly.  Alas, it is what it is.  I can definitely feel him move and that is fun. 

Lately, I have been going through a stage.  My boss calls this “Getting in Tune with my baby”.  I have been waking up at about 4:30 am and not being able to get back to sleep to closer to 5:30 or later.  This lack of sleep is effecting my work day, and training my replacement.  I’m not a good teacher/talker, and have been doing that nonstop for almost two weeks now.  Also in my sleep, I have been a snore talker, according to Deb, mumbling in my sleep while snoring lightly, sometimes coming out with full words which also wakes her up thinking I’m talking to her. 

I am now 31 Weeks and one day (or 31 weeks on Friday per the ultrasound people, but OB sticks to a January 1 due date.)  I am in the single digit countdowns and Deb is convinced little one will come early.  For my sister, at least one, if not two, came late, so I’m not counting on early.  I’m ok with that though.  Deb is just anxious to meet the bean. 

The breast pump debate in my head is still continuing.  We have found one that is about $160 but it seems replacement parts aren’t readily available.  So if I need bigger breast shields to accommodate larger nipples than most I don’t know if it would be a possibility.  This then puts the debate on should we get the Medela.  Babies R Us is having a midnight madness sale this Friday having the hands free one on sale for $380, from $450.  I have a feeling we are just going to bite the bullet and get the Medela. 

Belly pictures.








Not a lot of change.  Very gradual I guess.  

6 comments:

  1. You could buy a used pump and then buy a new kit. I know sone people wouldn't go for a used breast pump, but you would have all new pieces for it so the only used part would be the actual pump/motor part and plug in. The hospital (PLC) pharmacy sells replacement kits for $40 I believe, and it includes the breast shield, bottles, yellow suction part, tubes, ect. You could sanitize the pump and cord, then (in my mind) it would be fine to use. I'm using a used medela, but it was my sister in laws. I still wiped everything down with sanitizer and bought a replacement kit. I'm not sure how much the used pumps would be going for... Maybe worth looking into kijiji and doing a cost comparison? Hope you're feeling well and staying warm on this snowy day! Your baby boy will be here before so soon! You must be getting SO excited. He may very we'll be here earlier than his due date. My little guy was 1 week early (and is now almost 5 months!) -Calgary Nurse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the idea on used, and I had looked at it, but mostly for the Medela specifically, people still wanted close to $300 for them used, and then you get no warranty. There was a few that were cheaper, but I have no way of know they were working well or not.

      In the end we bought the one at Babies are Us Midnight madness sale.

      Deb is convinced he is showing up early, but I think that is mostly because she wants to meet him. I asked my sister when her due dates landed in comparison to her delivery. Her two were the day after. But you never know. Could be early or late, or right on time. Only time will tell.

      Delete
    2. Well, I'm sure you'll get a lot of use out of the pump and won't regret the big purchase. And, sounds like they hold their value so you could always sell when you're done having kids. Or donate to a needy NICU family who can't afford one but need to pump for their sick baby in hospital :) hope you're feeling good! You must be looking forward to being off work. Is there anything you still need or do you think you are ready for baby? -calgary nurse

      Delete
    3. I think we are fully prepared with the needs for baby. We have finally purchased all the toiletries and such, with the hospital diaper bag packed.

      Delete
  2. Looking good girl!! So excited for you two! The breast bump I bought is awesome! I did look at a few as well when we were searching we ended up getting the first years mipump at walmart for about 70$ .. now everyone is different but this pump has been great for me so far! I have larger odd breasts and it seems to do the job fine.. I only pump about once a day and I only ever use number 2 of the 8 suction settings this little pump has (I have no idea how anyone can go up to 8!! LOL ouch!) I like that it is very portable! you can use it at home plugged in or put batteries in it for when you are out an about - I have pumped in the car! Best of luck on the breast pump search ladies!! :)

    ReplyDelete